One-Year Stroke Visiting Fellow Program
The World Federation of Neurology (WFN) and the Mexican Academy of Neurology (MAN) are delighted to announce a one-year Visiting Fellowship Program in Mexico in Stroke.
The Mexican Academy of Neurology is a modern neurological society serving not only neurologic needs, but also being actively engaged in research and education.
The project is dedicated to young neurologists in Central and South America to spend a one-year Stroke fellowship centered at the General Hospital of Mexico “Dr. Eduardo Liceaga” with rotations at the National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery (INNNMVS) and the National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition (INCMNSZ)
General Hospital of Mexico
The General Hospital of Mexico “Dr. Eduardo Liceaga” has 900 beds and serves the open population, without social security. It has all the paraclinical elements in the neurosciences. The main pathologies treated are cerebrovascular disease, neuroinfections (tuberculosis), epilepsy, cranial trauma, Parkinson’s disease, and demyelinating diseases.
National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery (INNNMVS)
The National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery performs procedures supported by the highest technology, such as monitoring transoperative neurophysiology and microsurgery in complex neurosurgical procedures. More than 90,000 annual consultations are granted for the resolution of illnesses.
National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition (INCMNSZ)
The National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition trains medical specialists in each of the 50 medical specialties that are taught there, and that include clinical and surgical subspecialties. It has the largest number of researchers and the largest scientific production in Mexico.
This fellowship aims to improve stroke neurological training and education.
The Stroke Fellowship trainee will be working in an international environment, meet new colleagues, and foster future cooperation. This fellowship aims to improve subspecialty neurologic training in stroke.
General Hospital of Mexico
Strengths: Emergency room of cerebrovascular disease, neuropathology of cerebrovascular disease.
Professor Dr. Minerva López Ruiz (3 months)
National Institute of Medical Sciences and Nutrition Salvador Zubirán (INCMNSZ)
Strengths: Neurosonology and cerebrovascular disease in systemic diseases
Professors Dr. Luis Dávila Maldonado and Dr. Carlos Cantú Brito (3 months)
National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery Manuel Velasco Suarez (INNNMVs)
Strengths: Cerebrovascular disease clinic, multidisciplinary management of cerebrovascular disease
Professor Dr. Antonio Arauz Góngora (6 months)
Teaching will be conducted in Spanish.
The visit will take place for one academic year from September 2024 to August 2025.
Details about support
The visiting fellow will receive the following support:
- Reimbursement for one economy flight from the Fellow’s country of residence to Mexico and the return journey.
- Reimbursement of Accommodation for the academic year.
- A monthly allowance for living expenses (food and beverage) during the academic year.
- Health insurance and insurance to practice medicine, during the stay in Mexico (to be arranged by the hosts).
- The amount of scholarship will be paid to the Mexican Academy of Neurology which will reimburse the fellow’s expenses
Attention: Please note that support is provided for the visiting trainee only and does not include family or dependents. The WFN is not responsible for financial issues other than related to the project.
Criteria for applications:
- The applicant must be a resident of a low or lower-middle income country from Central America or South America (Central America, Cuba, Dominican Republic, South America).
- The applicant must be born after 31.12.1981
- The applicant must have recently completed his/ her neurology training
- The applicant must be fluent in Spanish
- On completion, the applicant must return to his/her Country of Residence.
- Professor Steven Lewis, WFN Secretary General, Chair of the Education Committee
- Professor Riadh Gouider, Co-Chair of the Education Committee
- Mexican Academy of Neurology
- Minerva López, MAN Representative
- Antonio Arauz, MAN Representative
- Luis Dávila, MAN Representative
- Prof Fernando Cendes, PAFNS Representative
- Prof Franz Chaves Sell, PAFNS Representative
Deadline for application
Applications must be made via the WFN website by Friday 1st March 2024.